Select Page

Looking for Travel Insurance Quote?

Frequently asked questions about Travel Insurance in Canada (FAQs)

Why Buy Travel Insurance?

Why should I buy travel insurance?

Whether you’re adventuring abroad or taking a trip to a neighbouring province, travel insurance protects you and your loved ones. Be confident you’re covered when dealing with a medical emergency, travel delay or theft.

If I get sick or injured while travelling, will provincial government healthcare pay for my medical expenses?

Provincial healthcare provides limited coverage for medical treatment and hospital costs outside of Canada. Some provincial healthcare plans don’t cover expenses like ambulance services, emergency dental treatment, and prescription drugs.

Why do I need additional travel insurance if I already have credit card coverage?

Some credit cards provide basic travel insurance. However, this coverage is often limited.

Credit card coverage may apply for a limited time period, or be available only up to a certain age. It’s often only applicable if the trip is paid for with your credit card.

When should I buy travel insurance?

To make sure you’re protected, buy insurance before leaving. Your plan should cover your entire trip, including the day you leave and the day you return.

Can I still buy travel insurance if I’m over 60 and have a few medical conditions?

Yes, iA Travel Insurance covers all ages, but some exclusions might apply depending on your health status. You’ll need to review the policy wording of the insurance you’re interested in buying, Contact us at 1-866-964-7088  for more details.

More FAQs About Buying Travel Health Insurance Plans

Does iA Travel Insurance offer family coverage?

Yes, we do. Family plans are available with certain insurance plans and are an economical choice when travelling with family.

What happens if I need to extend my policy because I’m staying away longer?

We can help you do that. All you have to do is contact us at 1-866-964-7088 and we’ll get you sorted.

What is the maximum number of days I can buy travel insurance for?

This depends on your home province and age. Just Contact Us at 1-866-964-7088 for more details.

What’s a deductible?

While some definitions may differ between plans, and may not apply to all types of plans, we define deductible as “the portion of eligible expenses you must pay from your own pocket when an eligible claim occurs. For all medical insurance plans (except our Visitors to Canada plan), the deductible applies to the expenses remaining after payment by your provincial or territorial government healthcare plan.”

Are sports-related injuries covered?

Yes, iA automatically covers sports and activities under the Emergency Medical or Visitor to Canada Emergency Medical plan unless they’re listed under our Optional Sports Coverages or as exclusions. Optional Coverages are available for Contact Sports, Adventure Sports, and Extreme Sports.

For a complete list of sports and exclusions, you’ll need to review the policy wording of the insurance you’re considering.

My contact or trip details have changed, or the information in my policy declaration is wrong. Do I have to notify anyone?
Yes, please! If any information has changed, it could impact your coverage. Please call us at 1-866-964-7088 and we’ll update your details!
Can I cancel a policy?

You can cancel most policies before or on the effective date, but may not after. To cancel a policy, please call us at 1-866-964-7088 for more information.

FAQs About Filing Travel Insurance Claims

How long will it take to process my claim?
Since every claim is different, we work with a number of different providers to resolve your claim. The more parties involved, the longer it could take. However, know that we’re committed to processing your claim as quickly as possible!

On your behalf, we’ll coordinate with:

  • Your attending physician (when the emergency happened)
  • Your family doctor (at home)
  • Other providers (i.e., chiropractors, dentists, etc.)
  • Travel/transportation providers
    Your car insurance provider
How can I help speed up this process?

Here are some tips to help expedite the process:

  • Submit your original claim forms to us within 60 days of opening the claim.
  • Make sure you provide all original, itemized receipts including:
    • Your full name
    • Date(s) of service
    • Amount charged
    • Type of service/diagnosis
    • Prescriptions with the original pharmacy prescription receipt, not the till or credit card receipt
  • Make sure you’ve signed all required documents
Why are there so many forms?

No one likes paperwork, but we need some important details in order to get your claim processed. We’ll help you get the necessary forms, so you don’t have to track it all down yourself.

On your behalf, we coordinate with a number of parties and each one has its own requirements:

  • The policy Underwriter requires your completed claim form to confirm the claim has been submitted. They need original documents, so your claim can be fairly and accurately assessed. The decision to pay or decline your claim will be based in part on this information.
  • Provincial Healthcare plans require certain forms to be completed and returned to them. Completing and returning these forms helps expedite the process.
  • Other Insurers (employment/ retirement/other healthcare plans, credit card companies, etc.) require an Assignment of Payment. By coordinating with these insurers to whom a premium may already have been paid, we ensure your travel insurance premiums remain low.
Do I need to fill out each form that’s sent to me?

Yes. Each form must be completed in full, regardless of the amount of your claim. Incomplete information may result in a delay. Therefore, it’s suggested to submit the completed form.

Can I submit a copy, instead of an original bill?

No, we need original, itemized bills. However, we suggest you keep a copy for your records.

What if my bills are in a foreign language?

Don’t worry, we’ll translate them for you! All you have to do is provide all the original documents/receipts you have. However, if you wish to translate them before sending them in, feel free to do so.

How long do I have to send in all my forms? What is the deadline?
  • Forms should be sent within 60 days of opening the claim.
  • Provincial healthcare plans have tight deadlines for submitting claims. Since we coordinate with these plans on your behalf, if we don’t receive your forms within 60 days of the treatment/loss, your reimbursement could be limited.
  • You have up to one year after the treatment/loss date to submit all your forms and other paperwork to us. After that, your claim is permanently closed.
What should I do if I receive a bill/statement after I've submitted my claim forms?

Many US medical providers send automatic statements every 30 days to you, without informing us. If you receive any additional bills/statements showing an outstanding balance, just let us know. We’ll resolve this issue on your behalf.

Who signs the Medical Authority section, and why?
  • If you’re making the claim, you’ll need to sign this section.
  • For minors, the legal guardian must sign this section.
  • If you’re signing on behalf of the traveller, you’ll need to include a copy of the Power of Attorney, to show you’re legally authorized to do so.
  • This Authority is needed to request your medical information in order to fairly and accurately evaluate your claim.
  • To coordinate with provincial healthcare plans, the Ministry also requires this Authority.
  • If this section isn’t signed, it will delay the processing of your claim.
Why do you need my employer/retirement/other insurance information?
  • In order to keep travel insurance premiums as low as possible, it’s necessary to share the cost of your claim with other insurers to which a premium has already been paid.
  • Employers often provide extended health benefits to employees and these benefits often continue into retirement. Since travel insurance supplements your other insurance coverages, you’ll need to share this information with us to process your claim.
  • If you (or your spouse) don’t have extended healthcare, or benefits available through another travel insurance plan, travel supplier or credit card, you must sign to acknowledge this.
Who needs to complete the Assignment of Payment section?

You’ll need to complete it, if you have other insurance through a group benefits plan, credit card, etc. However, if your spouse is the primary policyholder, he/she will need to sign it.

Do I need to complete the Out-of-Country Claim Form for the Medical Services Plan (MSP) of BC?

If you’re a BC resident and were hospitalized overnight outside the province, MSP requires this additional form. You’ll only need to complete Section A, and we’ll complete the rest for you.